Sunday, January 27, 2008

26th January 2008 - Half Moon Island and Drake Passage heading north for the last time.
Time 05:26, 62 degrees 35.27' South, 59 degrees 37.84' West, overcast and raining at first clearing to long sunny spells later, Wind South force 6 at first decreasing to 1-3 by 7am, Air Temperature 5 oC, Water Temperature 1.6 oC

View of Livingston Island from Half Moon this morning.
After the high winds and rain yesterday evening we were not very optimistic about making our very last landing of the season at Half Moon Island. At 5am the weather had improved a lot but I was not sure if it was enough. As usual I got all my gear ready and headed for the gangway area to await further orders. After a short time the shell door was opened and the sea appeared to be very calm and the sky was brightening up. The wind had amazingly dropped off almost completely and water was calm. The landing was fantastic with all passengers getting ashore and having a great time looking at the Chinstrap Penguin rookery and the incredible scenery surrounding it.
Expedition Team Leader Allan Morgan and a Chinstrap Penguin.
I brought Kenny the Teddy along for its last landing and it got very close to the penguins. When we were finishing up Allan, the Expedition Team Leader showed us some Antarctic Hair Grass near the landing. There are no trees or shrubs on Antarctica and there are only two flowering plants and the Hair Grass is one. While it was brilliant to see it the plant was particularly unexciting to look at.
Antarctic Hair Grass on Half Moon Island.
Before leaving Half Moon Island and our last landing we had to perform one last ritual - the parade of the cone heads.
The Expedition Team get down to some serious work for a change.
Rich Kirchner and Kevin Burke leaving Half Moon Island for the last time as part of the Expedition Team.

Following a great morning ashore I spent the afternoon in my "office" looking for seabirds and had some great sightings including another rare Light-mantled Sooty Albatross.
Grey-headed and Black-browed Albatross off the back deck this evening.
Continuing my inclusion of guest bloggers from the Expedition Team I am down to the last two members who I have pestered and nagged for material. Ruriko Lindblad is one of the most experienced people when it comes to the Antarctic Peninsula and Antarctic tourism and has been a key part of the Expedition Team.

Ruriko Lindblad, Japanese translator for the Expediton and Penguin traffic cop.

The last Antarctic season on Orient Line’s Marco Polo happened to be my 19th season since my first visit in 1987. The number of passengers coming to the Antarctic has grown for ten times to over 30000s for 2007/2008 season. My main duty over the years has been simultaneous interpretation of on-board lectures and naturalist guiding as well as other general translations for Japanese passengers. I try to remember the fresh memory of my first visit to this magnificent part of the world. I wanted to know why all these animals come here; how the Antarctic ecosystem works; Plate Tectonics I never studied while at school, why some ice is so blue, and many more. The more I study trying to find answers, the more questions come up. Yet, I have found a true joy of knowing something I have never known before. I like to share this joy with the passengers.
Thanks Ruriko! Tomorrow will be my last entry on the blog from the Marco Polo. Bye for now.


Kenny the Bear from St. Mary's National School, Cobh, Ireland tried to sneak up on a Chinstrap Penguin the morning.
Wildlife seen at Half Moon Island and on Drake Passage North

Mammals
Humpback Whale 10
Minke Whale 2
Weddell Seal 3
Fur Seal 4
Leopard Seal 1

Birds
Light-mantled Sooty Albatross 1
Giant Petrel 15+ (including 2 white morphs)
Grey-headed Albatross 5
Black-browed Albatross 10+
Southern Fulmar 1
Cape Petrel 50+
White-chinned Petrel 4
Wilson’s Storm Petrel 10+
Black-bellied Storm Petrel 3
Gentoo Penguin 7
Chinstrap Penguin – lots at Half Moon Island and 500+ at sea leaving Nelson Passage
Antarctic Shag 8
Brown Skua 15+
South Polar Skua 9
Kelp Gull 3
Antarctic Tern 50+

Note: The + sign after the counts indicates that we saw at least that number but more may have been present.

NOTE: I have changed access to the comments section so that anyone can leave a comment on my blog without having to register at all.